The P2P Revolution

If we need to fork the network each time we want to deliver a dapp then something is really wrong with our architecture

We currently only have an embedded contract runtime.
Meaning that yes, every new on-chain capability on mainnet requires a spork.

There are different tradeoffs with this architecture.
With the stated focus on extension chains, it is unclear whether or not an AMM on mainnet would be accepted via spork.

This discussion is moving slowly toward Kaineless extension chains.

2 Likes

Just wanted to elaborate a little.

Kaine has identified certain deliverables to achieve Phase I. An embedded AMM is not on that roadmap. In addition, Kaine has said he wants to keep the base layer as light as possible.

That means we need sidechains or L2s to run an AMM if we want to deliver the roadmap kaine is recommending. However, the community is asking for an AMM now. George has spent time on the AMM. The only way to deliver an AMM now is with an embedded contract and spork.

He is wondering, will Pillars fund an AZ for his work if he finishes the AMM, submits the contract to Zenon - Network of Momentum Ā· GitHub and kaine fails to generate a spork ID.

For me, the answer is YES. I would agree to fund the AZ for that work. However, if the community speaks up and says they no longer want an embedded AMM and will wait several months (years) for an AMM then maybe we should reconsider.

We can always do the embedded and migrate to L2 when itā€™s available. And, we can also discuss removing the spork rights from kaine and give it to the pillars. I will note, that some very inactive pillars immediately voted NO to @georgezgeorgez [6/6] AZ P2P Revolutionā€¦

So, maybe we have more active pillars than we think.

Let me rephrase then : Whatever Kaine says should go through community consensus and for this to happen his words as holy as they are needs to be turned into proper explanation. I donā€™t really care about him or his takes if I canā€™t understand what he wants and why and this feeling is growing stronger in the community. There are strong church like behaviors in crypto community, but Kaine isnā€™t a god and we should push him to explain himself more and more. Or else this is nothing more than a company ran by a CEO and the whole Bitcoin ethos and decentralisation narrative might as well collpase on itself.

Iā€™m sure sumamu and co will deliver an EVM-compatible L2 relatively soon. I donā€™t see the rush to have a crude AMM directly on NoM, we donā€™t even have the users for it (or a bridge to onboard them). Letā€™s get the bridge and wallets battle-tested, then remove its LP limits and open the floodgates with a working EVM compatible L2 + marketing.

It would be a way better product if we fork the smart contracts and the front end of a successful product like Uniswap, than to build it from scratch in NoM.

Iā€™m not trying to put down the work George has already put into it, but just being practical while trying to achieve the better outcome.

P2P is music to my ears.

P2P revolution baby!

Setting aside whether we want / need an embedded AMM, I do believe dynamic plasma is a very high priority. I say that only because Kaine says it every time he gets the chance.

So my vote would be to focus on dynamic plasma now, and letā€™s see what comes of sidechains / L2s. We can then revisit the discussion of embedded vs L2 after dynamic plasma is done.

RIP AMMā€¦ back to P2P Revolution. :green_heart:

Anything Kaine says must go through a vote anyway. So not RIP until vote.

The governance update will probably allow Mr Kaine to retain some measure of control for a period of time, until pillars vote for sovereignty.

Personally, I donā€™t think Mr Kaine would carry out the will of the community, even if there was overwhelming support for this feature.

Kaineā€™s word equals 30 pillars, so RIP your decentralized consensus.

Jokes aside, it makes sense not to do the same shit as everyone else and bloat the base layer.

1 Like

Of course but the reasoning should be it make sense not muh Mr. Kaine said so

1 Like

Ofc

CEXā€™s crumbling around us but P2P revolution v1 not accepted, im not mad just disappointed. Does HCone have any plans to resubmit? P2P is the hero we need i hope some pillars can come together on this.

1 Like

P2P revolution was a troll toward the bridge asks.

No. We are refining the proposal.

4 Likes

Team of community members working in the open asking to get paid for their work (Sol doesnt even have a pillar yet) compared to team of anon rockstars with zero proven interest in the project getting immediate approval.

I am not even judging the launch im just commenting on the different approaches and wondering honestly who is trolling who.

2 Likes

One project made sense, the other way less as I, personally, canā€™t see where this whole P2P thing is going to be used. To get my vote, Iā€™d need more clarity, especially considering how atomic swap was never adopted on LTC. The decentralized ideology has to face the market reality and the user experience to be appreciated as it should. Itā€™s not the case yet. Iā€™m totally open to discuss this anytime. Mr. Kaine said so wonā€™t be enough. Tell me a good story about P2P and Iā€™ll buy in.

Also need to see rationale for amount of funds requested - going to start voting no for anything that doesnā€™t have this clearly explained

2 Likes