The P2P Revolution: Network of Momentum Phase 1

Now I’m starting to understand. Slow learner.

Pillars > Full Node and Provide consensus and incentivized by the protocol

Sentinel > Full Node, costly to setup, their job is to relay messages and generate PoW links. They are compensated through protocol emissions. They are expensive to setup and “hard” to run. It will be difficult for the general public to run them so we cannot rely on Sentinels as “Public Nodes”. There won’t be enough of them.

Public Nodes > We need as many as possible to improve security and decentralization. There is no incentive to run them today. But users need access to them to process TXs and query the chain. We don’t want “Infura” to run them and we don’t want me to run them. We want the community to run them, like BTC. But, our nodes might be more costly to run (for a number of reasons). So there needs to be an incentive.

This is where fees come in. I don’t think we want to introduce more inflation into the system and emit protocol rewards to Public Nodes. We don’t need more inflation. Users can avoid node fees by running their own node. But if they don’t have the technical skills or desire to do that, they can just add a fee to their TX to pay for someone else’s node. That way we don’t rely on Infura or me, and we have a public p2p node layer that is paid for by 3rd party fees.

A user could avoid fees by simply syncing syrius and use the embedded node. But if they cannot wait, they can use the public node “layer” and pay a fee.

1. Does a user select a public node from a “list” and pay a fee to them?
  2. Or, is there a public node “layer” that shares in all fees received provided they are up and offering access to the network?
3 Likes