Defi Regulation in the US

This is a really good podcast on ETH / BTC security vs commodity discussion. And then they go into how defi could get regulated. It could affect how we deploy front ends in the US.

Listening to this make me think a P2P Atomic Swap order book could escape regulatory capture. They point out that the centralized onramps to defi are likely spots to KYC. So websites like uniswap.org.

But if we can deploy an AMM that does not have a centralized match maker (website hosted in the US) it could fall outside the expected regulatory jurisdiction of the SEC. This is the most informative pod I’ve listened to on this topic.

2 Likes

I also wonder if they is a way to run a front end (AMM) on a unikernel in a way that is not centralized, that could also escape regulatory capture.

2 Likes

The frontend is a centralized third party that can be easily captured. We can use a decentralized storage provider and avoid this issue (for both AMM & DEX either via atomic swaps or DeFi):

1 Like

This is an important thing to consider, the trend is definitely going this way so the right design decisions for a marketplace will be important in the long run. Not just for burgers either…

2 Likes

Just make it ipfs

1 Like