AZ Bi-Monthly Dev Updates

I think he should also make the added license more clear in his proposal. It’s positioned after voting poll box. Looks a little hidden, even though we know it was an after-thought people should be made aware that the license is part of the proposal and voting.

OK, at your request I have moved it above the vote.

I agree with this standpoint, voted yes on your proposal zir.

As I said above, sounds like it’s an operational expense for the network. Mislabelled as marketing. Hope you get rewarded, you work very hard.

@Mehowz you are right here to an extent that this proposal might be mislabelled as marketing. But as 0x has stated, the focus here is about providing information. We can potentially track conversions through the ORG website after something is posted, but it may not be essential for every content creator to provide a detailed plan on how they’ll measure conversions.

While using a funnel to track conversions can be effective, we should also consider that not all community members may want to, or know how to track conversions. Another example would be Zyler’s storybook. His contributions may not be directly related to marketing, but we shouldn’t overlook the importance of quality content. This would be up to the individual Pillars to decide if it’s valuable.

It’s crucial to distinguish between creating valuable content and getting people to see it. Using the funnel to track traffic from Zenon.org makes sense, but in my honest opinion, applying it to the content itself and its creators may not be as important in some cases. The community voices their opinion as most of us have been here for a long time, and we act on reputation and good faith. That’s an important aspect to take into account when it comes to our network.

1 Like

Your contributions to NoM are clearly evident @0x3639 and we will vote yes without hesitation.

Our only feedback (perhaps more broadly to the community) on “developer comms” is the prioritization of professional documentation that can help developers get started on NoM faster.

In the same way Stripe is well known for onboarding developers because of their world-class docs, it will be critical for the success of NoM in the long-run.

2 Likes

I’m working on them now.

2 Likes

Dev updates can attract dev readers right? Imagine you have a static funnel designed to onboard them into the network as participants. His proposal is specifically designed to show the network that you don’t need to care about completing the marketing cycle / proving some conversions (if you don’t want to). That’s fair, but what a wasted opportunity no? I mean you just developed content, you got some relevant readers, why not try to go full cycle? All it requires is a backlink to a funnel that would’ve been aimed at developers, and would’ve been branded as his brand and hosted by his sub-domain. The backlink would’ve been linked within a call to action at the end of the post, calling for new participation via some specific keyword his brand would’ve wanted to rank-for in search engines (all benefits to him and his brand). See how easy it would’ve been? 1 link lol and it can prove that his specific update lead to a new participation.

1. I agree with his contribution, he works hard and dev updates are valuable.

2. I don’t agree with the ill-intent to label this as a marketing proposal if he purposely states that he doesn’t want to have anything to do with marketing. It’s a network operations proposal. Let’s not confuse future marketing AZ’s on what marketing really is: proof of conversion for the network.

3. I don’t agree that dev updates should be licensed. Pillars should be careful for this one. Anyone who then makes similar posts/efforts can be attacked in various forms. And this is exactly what @0x3639 will do, he added the license after I mentioned that: if he doesn’t want to get attributed for the efforts, Org will do that for the network via dev updates on its blog. I mean he wants to check 1 box, that’s fine. We’ll fill in the rest for the network, that’s why we’re here – and especially if AZ is paying for his content. Network owned from that on. I don’t think any Pillar can dictate how network-owned material is used. Just like we require code to be open sourced if paid by AZ, anyone can use it was they wish. You can’t have it all @0x3639, you want to get paid, you open it for the network.

Expect to see similar dev updates on various publications @0x3639 if you get paid by AZ. Saying it now: he’ll do everything to be right and claim copyright infringement on behalf of the network for anything that remotely resembles his content. It’s pretty nuts what he’s trying to do. Imagine Org wants to campaign on each individual dev update point, in the outbound to attract new participants. He’s going to try to prevent that? Lol good luck bud.

If Pillars vote yes, they’re inadvertently voting that any content from his updates cannot be mentioned by anyone else in the network. A NoM Bridge code update is not his property, he just reports it. He should remove that provision from his proposal. Be careful what you vote for everyone. This is quite concerning.

I voted no. Not because I think you shouldn’t get paid for your effort, but because you impose a license which restricts reusing the content which you want to get paid for through an AZ.

That makes no sense and fundamentally opposes the FOSS principle of AZ grants.

You can’t have it both ways.

Ps. The only thing you can enforce is protection agains plagiarism. Any other source properly citing your content can do so freely anyway.

This is the spirit of the license. This is a simple dev update that is not intended to be monetized or levered for the benefit of anyone or any organization. So what ever you call that license, that is what I propose.

This content is not intended to be monetized, funneled, ground up, repackaged, and linked all over the place in an effort to profit from it or get delegators.

Dude give up the license, you don’t even know how it works. You probably ChatGPT’d it as soon as I said I’d repurpose content to drive traffic and participation to the network. Move your emotions aside, get paid from AZ and move on if you don’t want to do marketing. You’re a good operational contributor and your payment terms are more fair than any other we’ve had.

True, I just made it up but with my brainz (this time). Please vote accordingly.

Well @ Network now you can see how emotional @0x3639 got for being called out on intentions. My terms remain the same:

1. Remove the license, anything paid by AZ is open.
  2. Be clear that given you’re not intending to participate in marketing activities, this doesn’t classify as a marketing AZ but rather operational. Need to set the right precedents here. Marketing requires evidence of performance in some shape or form – and especially when tools are given to drive new participants into the network, it doesn’t require much effort from content creators: at minimum add a call to action to lead new participation, learn to distribute to generate relevant traffic, be willing to iterate to maximize effects (more here).

As a developer these are an easy way to keep tabs on what other developers are doing and are a form of documentation. I want to focus my time on development work, and it’s time consuming to continuously keep tabs on all the other developments that are happening within this project. So these updates are definitely worth the funds in my opinion.

I still have to vote abstain for now since I’m not sure what to think about the license in this type of an AZ request. It seems like a minor detail, especially when this is a fairly small request but I wonder what precedent it will be setting.

2 Likes

Good feedback. Thank you.

Guys, I would like to stop the voting on this AZ. It’s becoming clear this is becoming a distraction and especially for the devs who are most valuable. The fact that @vilkris had to read through this and take time away from Dynamic Plasma is a huge mistake.

So let’s please stop the voting and let’s focus on building great stuff. I have a new idea that will not waste any brain cells or create drama.

I intend to continue writing the dev updates no matter what.